Byrnesville

From CentraliAlmanac

Jump to: navigation, search
Satellite imagery showing the forced rerouting of PA-61 over Byrnesville Road.
Plot Map of former Byrnesville

Byrnesville was a small village nearby Centralia. It essentially was just another group of homes for mine workers, although its proximity to Centralia caused it to be equally effected by the Centralia Mine Fire. Byrnesville is sometimes referred to unofficially as a "suburb" of Centralia. It was only a fraction of the size of Centralia and residents typically had to go to Centralia for services such as church or groceries. In present day, the road to Byrnesville, named Byrnesville Road, is now used for traffic along Pennsylvania Route 61 to replace the segment of highway which was damaged and eventually permanently closed. Originally it was only a spur off the main highway and as such traffic must negotiate difficult curves at the "entry" and "exit" of the road.

History of Byrnesville

The village of Byrnesville no longer exists. It began in 1856 and was completely dismantled by 1996. Byrnesville was a small village located in Central Pennsylvania. It was divided into two parts, Upper and Lower Byrnesville. The first homes were built in Lower Byrnesville around 1856 and in Upper Byrnesville around 1865. The homes were built to house employees of a nearby coal company. Byrnesville was located in the Anthracite coal region of Pennsylvania and coal mining and processing was its main industry.


The population over the years varied as the coal mines had good and bad times. The majority of the people who first settled there were mostly Irish immigrants. Through the years the village was inhabited mostly by Irish Catholics. They attended St. Ignatius Church in nearby Centralia. An elementary school was located in early Byrnesville but was discontinued in the early 1930s. After that the children attended Conyngham Township schools and St. Ignatius Catholic school in Centralia.


Byrnesville was named after the Byrnes family who were the first settlers. Small grocery stores were operated by the Reilley, Byrnes and Gaughan families. A barroom was owned by another Gaughan family. Most of the shopping was done at nearby larger towns of Mount Carmel and Ashland.


Byrnesville was part of and was governed by Conyngham township and Columbia County. After World War 2 ended, the coal mining industry started to decline and many of the younger people moved to other areas to find work. A federal government project relocated families out of Byrnesville in the 1980s because of the smoke and fumes from the underground mine fire. The population of Byrnesville just before the exodus from the fire was approximately 75 people living in 29 homes. The last family moved in 1996 and the final house was torn down at that time. The only remaining structures there now are a religious shrine on a hillside, a storage trailer, and an unused garage.

Photos from former Byrnesville

Personal tools